It’s summer, and that means condiment season. The grills and the picnic blankets are ready for the BBQs, picnics, potlucks and dinner parties of the season. When the weather’s warm, we love to eat outside. We also love to add flavor to our foods. But, sometimes, that flavor comes in secretly harmful forms when our condiments do us wrong.
While the bounty of fresh fruits and veggies and the warm beach weather make it easy to make healthier choices, many people are unknowingly sabotaging their health and their waistlines with their summer meals. You go to the farmers markets, and you buy what’s fresh, so how can that be bad for you? It’s not the fruits and veggies, it’s often the toppings that you put on them that can trip up even eaters with the healthiest intentions.
Condiments are often loaded with chemicals, unhealthy oils, sugars and other additives. They can also add lots of fat and calories to your otherwise healthy meals. These 6 lateral swaps are easy ways to upgrade your summer nutrition without adding more to your full plate. Here’s to healthy condiments and meals to be remembered!
- Ditch the mayo and switch to mustard, salsa, pesto, guacamole, olive tapenade, balsamic vinegar or hummus to dress your sandwiches, salads or wraps.
- Ditch the bottled dressing and switch to olive oil and vinegar or an easy homemade dressing (pour extra virgin olive oil, your favorite vinegar, mustard and a splash of lemon or orange juice to a jar, cover and shake).
- Ditch the margarine and fake butter spreads which contain unhealthy oils, chemicals and additives and switch to organic butter (preferably from grass-fed cows) as a healthier alternative.
- Ditch the jelly which often contains high-fructose corn syrup and switch to naturally-sweetened fruit preserves, jam or sliced, fresh fruit.
- Ditch the table salt which is highly processed and switch to Celtic Sea Salt which contains minerals that your body needs.
- Ditch the white sugar and artificial sweeteners and switch to a natural raw sugar, raw honey, pure maple syrup, or if you aren’t ready to ditch the little packets, opt for stevia or xylitol to add sweetness to your food and drinks.
We’d never take away your outdoor summer fun which often includes the meals and memories that keep us warm all winter long. Just make some simple condiment swaps, and toss us the beach ball!
If you’re ruled by your cravings for sweets, join us for the Sweet Revenge Sugar Cleanse: 7 Days to Shake the Sugar, Boost Your Energy and Slim Down!
Click HERE to get started. You don’t want to be left out!